Thursday, October 15, 2015

Moda Bake Shop - Sunny Trips

I am finished with my latest Moda Bake Shop project!  This one I call ''Sunny Trips''



For the quilting, I followed the diagonals of each block going both directions creating a curvy X in each square. The quilting just adds so much to it I think! :)





When subcutting the strip sets, there was approx 5-6'' of strip set left at the end, so I cut them into equal lengths, opened them up and sewed them end-to-end to make a pieced backing :)  I love using bits of the leftovers from the front in the backing :)

The backing really shows the texture of the quilting!!! :D

karinsiggy

Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Lattice and Chains - Moda Bake Shop quilt

Well, I can finally share my latest Moda Bake Shop project!  Introducing ''Lattice and Chains''










I chose mainly the red/white/blue prints from the line ''Varsity'' - but there is plenty of gray and even a bit of black in there too (with hints of green and yellow).  It reads mainly red/white/blue though, which I love!

I cannot keep them all - as much as I'd like to - so this one is available for sale in my Etsy Shop.


karinsiggy

Friday, February 20, 2015

Moda happy mail


Yesterday, I got a package from Bear Creek Quilting Company - the fabric for a new project for them!


The fabric is ''Ambleside'' by Brenda Riddle designs (Acorn Quilt and Gift Company) for Moda.  The yardage is wide backing from ''Atelier'' by 3 Sisters for Moda.  The Ambleside fabric is just gorgeous I tell ya!  You are going to want to get your hands on this one when it's released in March!

I will be having my very first quilt along, so stay tuned for more information!  Start following the blog at Bear Creek Quilting Company so you don't miss this one :)

karinsiggy

Monday, January 12, 2015

Moda Bake Shop - Scrappy Irish Chain

My latest quilt finish is featured over at Moda Bake Shop today!  This is my 10th MBS project!  It is one of my favorite quilts I have made in a while.  I just love postage stamp quilts - and to combine an Irish Chain and a postage stamp - LOVE!   It's a BIG 90'' square (and a whopping 2025  2''x2'' pieces in the front!), which is a little bit of a challenge on my sewing machine to quilt, so I decided to go with straight line quilting so I could use my walking foot :)



Unfortunately, the sun has not come out enough since I finished it for a good clear picture, booo.  I used 2 jelly rolls of ''Daysail'' by Bonnie and Camille - and 22 strips from a previous collection of theirs ''April Showers''.  I love how well these collections 'go' together!  They both are void of any mainly pink prints (yes!) and have lots of my favorite aqua/navy/reds prints.  For the 'chain', I chose to use Moda Bella ''Pond'' (it is VERY close to ''Betty Teal'') - it matches the color that is in small amounts of a few of the prints in both collections.  I think it would look equally well in many different colors - red, aqua, or even white or navy!  Oooooh, yes, I think it would look amaaaaazing in navy.



I did diagonal straight line quilting in every other square.  I love Aurifil thread - you can get so much more on a bobbin!  I think I only used 4 bobbins to quilt and bind this one, which is amazing!  And, doing the straight line quilting makes it go pretty fast too - it took me about 6 hours to complete the quilting, but my machine isn't real fast either.  Pedal to the metal!



backing:


I pieced the backing from 5 1/8'' yardage and leftovers from the front.  It was just 6'' too narrow with 2 panels of fabric to squeeze that top onto the backing.  So, I cut my 5 1/8 yards into two equal lengths of 92'' long and joined them together at the selvage (joining them at the selvage that does not have the printing on it with a 3/8'' seam).  At that point, it was about 86x92.  Then, I cut the backing lengthwise along the fold of one of the 92'' lengths.  I pieced 92'' long section that was solid/scrap squares/solid (all jelly roll strip width) and inserted it into that cut and that gave me the extra 6'' width that I needed to baste the quilt. I just used the scraps from the strip sets from the front to piece between two solid strips. It took 9 sections (+one square) from the leftover strip sets pieces and 3 Pond strips. I am glad I didn't insert it into the center, I really like it off-center!


karinsiggy