Friday, February 20, 2015

Moda happy mail

Yesterday, I got a package from Bear Creek Quilting Company - the fabric for a new project for them!

The fabric is ''Ambleside'' by Brenda Riddle designs (Acorn Quilt and Gift Company) for Moda.  The yardage is wide backing from ''Atelier'' by 3 Sisters for Moda.  The Ambleside fabric is just gorgeous I tell ya!  You are going to want to get your hands on this one when it's released in March!

I will be having my very first quilt along, so stay tuned for more information!  Start following the blog at Bear Creek Quilting Company so you don't miss this one :)


Friday, February 13, 2015

Wedded Bliss

Well, this quilt top has been a long time in the making.  For some time, I used it as a 'leaders and enders'.  Then, I would buckle down and do a large portion of the sewing at a time.

I had a little problem when I ran out of background fabric and ordered more - and it wasn't the right background, so ordered more - and it wasn't right either!  I finally found the original purchase for the background and found out it wasn't 'bleached white',  or 'snow', but it was white PFD (prepared for dying).

I did change the original pattern just a TAD by cutting the blocks down to 9.5'' instead of 10'' so that less of the corner triangles stuck out .  I like it a lot better than way, although none of them are perfect - I can see why it might be a better idea to leave the blocks at 10''.

I am calling this one Wedded Bliss (since the corner triangles are a red/white polka dot from Bliss).  The rest of the fabric is 2 jelly rolls of April Showers.  The pattern is ''Metro Rings'' done with the Quick Curve Ruler.

It is 72'' square - so I plan to add an at least 5'' border to get it large enough for a queen size quilt.  I have 5 yards of aqua/white polka dot from Bliss I have been hoarding saving for years that I think I will use for the backing for this.  I am going to use the navy/white polka dot for the binding.  I guess I will piece the backing and then make the top to fit the backing so it's as large as it can be.  I do have some April Showers left to piece into the backing if necessary.  I just don't want all this work going into a quilt that isn't big enough to use on a bed - especially since it's a double wedding ring variation.

This quilt top tested my patience and my skills.  I love the pattern, but I don't think I'll ever be making another one again!

Sunday, February 8, 2015

The sewing cabinet redo

For many years, I have been sewing with my Pfaff (or other machines before the Pfaff) on top of my vintage Singer sewing cabinet (with the Singer inside).  I have a piece of thin plywood covering the hole that the machine folds out of, and the fold-out leaf leans up against the machine when not in use.

For years, I have tried to think of a solution to a better work surface.  I would LOVE to have a larger table, but it just won't work to have anything bigger.  So, I decided if it can't be bigger, at least it should work better for piecing and quilting.  Yes, I quilt with this set-up.  Not ideal, but it can be done.  Lots of shoulder ache and lots of tugging and pulling on the quilts.

So, I set out to find a cabinet that I could revamp to make my sewing surface level with the cabinet surface.  Something vintagey that didn't have a lot of value that I was going to 'ruin' by making it work for my sewing machine.  I found this cute Singer cabinet/machine on Craigslist and knew it was 'the one'.  (These are the pics from the ad).

I purchased it and formulated a plan.  The machine I gave away the next day on Freecycle, and then I set out to make the cabinet suit my needs.
The paint wasn't tooooo horrible, but it was yellowed and dingy. Plus, the gold accents and brass knobs HAD to go.
First I started disassembling it:
I didn't notice right away, but one of the front legs was on the back, LOL.  The RF leg and RR leg were swapped.  Why, I have no idea!  I will make sure to get them in the proper orientation when I reassemble :)

Next, I made a 'shelf'' inside exactly the depth of my machine needle plate and cut the front fold-out portion of the top to fit my machine.  Then, I had this large section in back that needed to be filled in......

So, I created a piece that fit it perfectly.....
It took me two tries and I accidentally overcut that corner with the table saw - but I was NOT going to cut another piece.

Then, I finished disassembly and started sanding and then painting!

 AQUA!!!  Loving it!

And.......... tada!

It might be my favorite piece of furniture I own!  Hehe :)


Monday, February 2, 2015

scrappy Irish chain blocks

My superbowl sewing was working on those strip sets turning them into blocks.  I have 5 "A" blocks complete and the other 36 are ready for their last seam and pressing.