For years, I have tried to think of a solution to a better work surface. I would LOVE to have a larger table, but it just won't work to have anything bigger. So, I decided if it can't be bigger, at least it should work better for piecing and quilting. Yes, I quilt with this set-up. Not ideal, but it can be done. Lots of shoulder ache and lots of tugging and pulling on the quilts.
So, I set out to find a cabinet that I could revamp to make my sewing surface level with the cabinet surface. Something vintagey that didn't have a lot of value that I was going to 'ruin' by making it work for my sewing machine. I found this cute Singer cabinet/machine on Craigslist and knew it was 'the one'. (These are the pics from the ad).
I purchased it and formulated a plan. The machine I gave away the next day on Freecycle, and then I set out to make the cabinet suit my needs.
The paint wasn't tooooo horrible, but it was yellowed and dingy. Plus, the gold accents and brass knobs HAD to go.
First I started disassembling it:
Next, I made a 'shelf'' inside exactly the depth of my machine needle plate and cut the front fold-out portion of the top to fit my machine. Then, I had this large section in back that needed to be filled in......
So, I created a piece that fit it perfectly.....
Then, I finished disassembly and started sanding and then painting!
It might be my favorite piece of furniture I own! Hehe :)